The Gospel is quite literally "good news." It is the good news that the one and only God, who is holy, made us in his image to know him (Gen. 1:26-28). But we sinned and cut ourselves off from him (Gen. 3; Rom. 3:23).
In his great love, God sent his Son Jesus to come as king and rescue his people from their enemies—most significantly their own sin (Ps. 2; Luke 1:67-79).
Jesus established his kingdom by acting as both a mediating priest and a priestly sacrifice—he lived a perfect life and died on the cross, thus fulfilling the law himself and taking on himself the punishment for the sins of many (Mark 10:45; John 1:14; Heb. 7:26; Rom. 3:21-26, 5:12-21); then he rose again from the dead, showing that God accepted his sacrifice and that God’s wrath against us had been exhausted (Acts 2:24, Rom. 4:25).
He now calls us to repent of our sins and trust in Christ alone for our forgiveness (Acts 17:30, John 1:12). If we repent of our sins and trust in Christ, we are born again into a new life, an eternal life with God (John 3:16).
Would you like to know more about trusting Jesus as Savior? Please call our office to speak with one of our pastors at (505) 899-0665 today.
Our Mission & Values
First Baptist West Albuquerque exists to glorify God by making disciples of Jesus Christ in the power of the Holy Spirit. Our vision is to make disciples who Know Christ as Lord through His Word, Grow in life together in maturity and obedience to Christ, and who Go to our neighbors and the nations with the good news of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ.
As a body of believers in the person and work of Jesus Christ, together we value:
- The Word. We value the authority, sufficiency and centrality of God’s Word in all things. Because the Bible is God’s Word, we believe it holds unchanging truth that is applicable in ever-changing circumstances. Because God’s Word is true and never changing, we can trust it for all it instructs for salvation and godly living. We want the Bible to be the very center and heartbeat of all that we do.
- The Body. We value the body of Christ that is represented by the covenant membership of the local church. First West is but one local expression of the body of Christ which is made up of followers of Jesus throughout history and around the world. We value covenant-based local church membership as it helps us to fulfill our Gospel responsibilities to one another and the Great Commission to the world.
- Corporate Worship. We value gathering as the body of Christ and as a family of faith to worship the one true God. Because God has saved us for His glory and for the spread of the Gospel, we gather to sing together in praise to God and to sit under the teaching and preaching of His Word together. Faith in Christ cannot be carried out, encouraged, strengthened or developed nearly as well alone as it can with the body of Christ.
- Evangelism. We value taking the Good News of salvation in Jesus Christ to all people, irrespective of race, ethnicity, religion, background or lifestyle. The Gospel is Good News for all people, because everyone needs rescue from sin and a right relationship with God. So, we pray fervently for those who do not know Christ, prepare ourselves to lovingly share the Gospel with all who are without Him, and look for and create opportunities to tell our neighbors and the nations about God’s gift of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ.
- Discipleship. We value the ongoing process of maturity in the faith for all followers of Jesus. Discipleship is just a way of saying, “growing as a follower of Jesus.” We value growing together through intense and intentionally study of the Scriptures, corporate worship and prayer, relationships of mentorship and accountability, and taking the Gospel to the nations together.